Marlene Dietrich and Gary Cooper
Home videos of Marlene vacationing in the South of France, 1930s
"Well, it’s not a color — it’s white, and everything I prize is just that. All my evening gowns are white; I have a white automobile, a white house furnished in white; a white dog and cat, and I never swim in anything but a white bathing suit." — Jean Harlow in 1934.
Willem van de Poll, Central Station, Amsterdam, 1932.
asked: Once you get this you have to say five things that you like about yourself, publicly, then send this to ten of your favorite followers :)
Oh, thank you kindly, Miss Caroline! Receiving this from your dear self is in more ways than one most gratifying :)
- I quite like my musical skill
- I like that I am articulate
- I think it would be unfair to exclude how I like my taste in music and films
- I like my playfulness. That sounds odd. I am not really a serious character, is what I’m trying to say. I like to get my fair share of mischief, haha, and I think people tend to like that quality, and so do I.
- I like my mentality. I would like to think that I am logical in thought.
Thank you again :)
asked: Jimi Hendrix: Name 8 things that make you happy. The Ramones: Do you have any pets? Simon and Garfunkel: What song(s) help you get through the day? The Mamas and The Papas: Define yourself in 5 words
Woo! Thanks, Miss Audrey!
Let’s see now:
Jimi Hendrix: Name 8 things that make you happy.
- Seeing good friends/Getting to spend any amount of time with certain young lady I fancy
- Playing my musical instruments
- Going to see concerts of the music that I love, especially if they are the original artist, which is rare, because of a certain requirement that they be alive…
- Listening to records, but it somewhat makes me more happy when I’m listening to records that I’ve brought to a friends place that I play on the portable record player I’ve got :) Though, I can only say I’ve done that once, due to my number of friends who like the same music I do numbering precisely at 0.
- Hearing a song that I like being played on the radio. Always makes me smile because it’s so rare!
- Dancing! 99.999999% of the time, withs someone else. It kind of has an opposite effect if it’s by myself.
- Getting to share music with someone. Nobody I know really shares my music taste, but I strongly think that it’s because they don’t give it a chance. They don’t care to listen, and I know not why. Also, not just with music, with film too. “Ugh, black and white?” they always say, so I tend to question if they’ve actually seen a black and white film to justify their attitude. I doubt it. Not even that, I mean, there are many colour films of classic hollywood, and the mere fact of its age is somewhat a repellent, which I think is ridiculous. In the words of Lauren Bacall, “It’s not an old movie if you haven’t seen it”. I think I went off on a tangent here, haha. But yes, sharing film and music with people.
- Learning new things, or perfecting things, especially skills, as well as being able to demonstrate/use particular skills/facts I have learnt, unless of course, it’s an examination. Nobody likes exams.
The Ramones: Do you have any pets?
- A 9 month old Australian Shepherd named Dutch. For the record, I wanted to name him Tesla or Gable.
- I used to have three birds but two of them died last week :(. I now have one purple budgie, Maeby.
Simon and Garfunkel: What song(s) help you get through the day?
Well, I don’t find that every day is such a struggle, so any great tune would add that little more brightness to the day. However, when times get a little tough, I that a song with a swingy/boppy/jivey dancing beat, as in not a slow dance, livens me up a bit because I am helpless and ALWAYS fall at the mercy of a dancing tune! Things like:
- Opus One - The Mills Brothers
- Cherokee - Charlie Barnet Orchestra
- Little Bitty Pretty One - Thurston Harris
- Dactylo Rock - Les Chaussettes Noires ;)
- Bossa Nova Baby - Elvis Presley
My list of those are endless, but there’s an idea. When upset, I also like to listen to songs that remind of treasured memories. For instance:
- Splish Splash - Bobby Darin
- Cheek to Cheek - Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong
- The Way You Look Tonight - Frank Sinatra
Not that the significance of those songs are clear to you or anyone that reads this, but they fall under the original question, haha. Furthermore, when things are kind of really bad, say I am really upset and just am not looking forward to the minutes of the day that I yet have to endure, I find that songs which carry meaning towards such situations help me out. I just tend to listen to lyrics over music when upset, not sure why. Songs like:
- A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes - Bing Crosby
- Somebody Who Cares - Paul McCartney
I have so much more to write, but I feel this is already getting too long, haha.
The Mamas and The Papas: Define yourself in 5 words.
- Talkative (as evident, haha)
- Passionate (about certain things)
Thanks again, Miss Audrey! :)
Greta Garbo in Camille (1936)
Paris Evening. Photographed by Fred Stein. (1934)